Monday, March 31, 2014

Chicken Introduction





Well, its been 3 weeks since our chicks made our garage their home! After a rough start, we lost 10 of our chicks within the first 3 days due to shipping shock, that wasn't easy. I was by their sides constantly and attending to pasty bums, nursing the ones who were too weak to walk to the water and food. They sure were sweet and that first few days I wont lie, made me feel like a failure. Even though I was doing all I could, still each loss brought such sadness. The hatchery has a great policy that the first 48 hours covers your chicks. So, I was able to call them and they put my credit on for me to reorder but for now with just the 19 we have....I'm good and busy....so without further adieu....here are our chicks!


Week 1:


Nothing cuter than fluff bums around the feeder and water! ;)
Prayin' buddies! hahaha This was one of my Cochin and Australorp.

Our "Top Hat" girl! (Polish chick)
Week 2:



Starting to get feathers...


Week 3:  This week everyone has began developing their feathers and its made it easier to figure out what breed everyone may turn out to be and personalities are really emerging! The second photo I am sharing is of one of my polish girls, she is starting to get crest feathers and looked like such a hot mess I could not refrain myself from capturing her "chicken bedhead"!

So far I believe our flock consists of the following:
3 White Crested Black Polish
2 Buff Cochin
1 Golden Laced Cochin
2 Partridge Cochin
1 Austrlope
7 Barred Rock
2 Unsure of!






Well! That is the bunch! We find so much enjoyment with all of them! We are starting the work on their coop and run this week...hopefully! So, lots of photos to come of that! I also have not managed to name all these ladies, I may have to call on some help in tackling that as well! Do you have a flock?? I would love to see them!! Link me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover